The Academy Road

The Academy Road

The Academy Road

Recent Recent Stories Stories

Get to Know Jenn Fredrickson Hutchins

January 6, 2024

For the last 25 years, Jenn Fredrickson Hutchins has been an integral part of The Albany Academies. Her tenure started with a paper copy of her resume sent to the address...

The Road to Success of our Middle School Robotics Teams

January 5, 2024

Both of our middle school robotics teams competed this weekend at the FLL Masterpiece Challenge at Shenendehowa High School. “The Coding Turtles” and “The...

Throwback Thursday

January 4, 2024

Adam Penrose '02, played baseball for The Albany Academies under esteemed Coach Dorwardlt. Now, he follows in his mentor's footsteps as the Varsity baseball head coach, marking...

Snack Shack is Back!

January 3, 2024

Visit the Snack Shack and support the 9th grade's fundraising. Ms. Marchetti's Room (AAG 50-06) E Block Lunch H Block 3:00-3:30

Albany Academy Cadets Suffer Narrow 2-3 Loss to Voorheesville

September 29, 2023

*Albany, NY* – The Albany Academy Cadets soccer team faced a tough challenge against Voorheesville, resulting in a narrow 2-3 loss. Despite the setback, the team showed...

Albany Academy Prepares for Upcoming N.Y.S.A.I.S. Visit

Unbeknownst to much of the Academy student population is an event of considerable significance is quickly approaching.  From March 4th through March 7th, the New York State Association of Independent Schools will conduct an in-depth review of a previously prepared Academy report on the health of our institution.  The process by which an institution receives accreditation is one that has been carefully worked out and refined over many years.  Needless to say, the ramifications of taking this matter lightly and potentially losing this organization’s endorsement are profound and far-reaching.  The Chair of the Steering Committee, Mr. David Pascone, expressed confidence that the report, now several months in preparation, faithfully demonstrates the robust Academy effort to address any and all weaknesses, while at the same time providing ample evidence of what the Academy does best – educate and support students.

Maureen Fonseca of the Master School in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., will head the visiting committee.  Her associates, numbering 12 in all, will busy themselves in verifying the Academy report mailed to them on January 20, 2012.  Upon arrival, committee members will examine every aspect of school life, including programs, finances, governance, and administration. The committee will speak with faculty, administrators, and students, sit in on classes, and look as closely as they can to determine how accurate the school’s self-study is. Several meetings with students will take place with an eye toward ascertaining the degree to which students value their Academy experiences and feel that the “student voice” is heard and respected on campus.

It is clear that Mr. Pascone, having been a member of NYSAIS visits to other schools in years past, sees a real value in the process itself, as it gives The Academies an opportunity to take a comprehensive look at itself as well as to receive some constructive feedback from “outside.”  Mr. Pascone goes on to detail the challenges that everyone in the school faced to complete a comprehensive, thoughtful, analytical report to describe our strengths and to lay bare some of our weaknesses.  A special thank you, he notes, is due to Mrs. Reid for her tireless work in assembling all of the pieces of the report and keeping everyone on track and to Mrs. Bouloukos for enduring the tedious process of proofreading the final report.  It goes without saying that the Academy student body should take this process seriously as well and extend every kindness to this important delegation.